By Jay McKenzie
Selecting the right builder for your new home is a key step in the journey that leads to your dream home.
Asking builders the 15 questions below will help you choose the right builder to create your new home and give you confidence in your choice.
These questions will also help you better understand key steps in the building process and the decisions you'll make to bring your new home to life.
How many years have you been in business and how many homes have you built?
- Are you licensed (where required) and insured?
- How do you compare yourself to other builders?
- What kind of warranty do you offer?
- Can you give me references from prior homebuyers in this community or here in town?
- What are the key energy-saving features of the homes that you build?
- Do you build from home plans that you supply only? Or can I provide my own set of plans?
- What standard features do you offer? What options and upgrades can I select?
- Who will oversee the construction of my home? Who should I contact with any questions I may have?
- How and when can I make changes or upgrades before and during construction?
- How and when will the final price for my home be determined?
- How often (and when) will I have access to the home during the building process?
- How long will my home take to complete?
- Does the community have a Home Owners Association and/or an Architectural Review Committee? Can I get a copy of the rules and the amount of any fees?
- What is your process for inspection at key points of construction, at final walk-through, and to address any matters that need to be corrected or finalized?
While there are other questions you may wish to ask, experts agree the list above is a good starting point to assist you in selecting your builder.
Congratulations! You've embarked on an exciting journey that will lead to your dream home.
Jay McKenzie heads up content for NewHomeSource.com and its sister websites. His prior online and publishing experience includes 10 years in the home building industry as Publisher of Professional Builder Magazine and VP of several publications and websites across the nation that help consumers select the right new home.