Find Custom & Build On Your Lot Builders
Featured Custom Home Builders
"We loved working with a custom builder. We were able to chose everything from the front door to the dream kitchen. Our builder created the perfect home for our family." Gina and Doug Sylvester, Austin, TX
Step-by-Step guide for building a custom home
Articles & videos to guide you through your custom home buyer journey
As you plan for a new home, one of the first questions to ask is whether a production or a custom home builder is right for you. Do you want to personalize your new home using a builder's floor plan or design your home from scratch? See all Discover articles.
You’ve decided it’s time to build a custom home, but how do you decide what builder will make your dreams a reality? Here you'll find tips for picking the perfect custom home builder and more guidance through this custom home planning stage. See all Plan articles.
Do you want to build your dream home, but are afraid of the cost? Not all custom-built homes are large and extravagant; in fact, these homes can be built for your exact needs and wants, big or small. Learn all about the custom homes costs and buying process here. See all Buy articles.
Design is not a one-size-fits-all solution for every space of your new custom home. It’s important to consider how you intend on using the spaces in each room when designing. We have tons of resources here to help you through the process. See all Design articles.
Usually larger and more complex than a production home, a custom home, logically, will take longer to build -- but just how long? NewHomeSource has broken down the process and timeline for you here. See all Build articles.
Congratulations, you just moved into your dream custom home! NewHomeSource has a 10-step list and additional resources here to help you settle into your home and start enjoying your new life. See all Live articles.
Why build a custom home?
As the name implies, the process of building a custom home is less scripted because there are no pre-defined choices or menus to choose from. With custom homes:
- The home can be built on land you own or land that you acquire.
- You can supply a floor plan or commission a set of floor plans to be drawn from scratch.
- You can work with a separate architect and builder — or with a design-build company that manages both the architectural design and the construction process.
- You’ll be more involved in the process and have the opportunity to make many decisions.
- You can pick from nearly any product in a category — within your budget, of course — rather than from a defined menu of choices.